Saturday, October 6, 2007

This past weekend I rode 100 miles through the farm lands of Michigan. Man oh man, was it a tough ride. The first 70 miles was nice with two rest stops, afterwards, the single gear I was riding wasn't doing it for me.
The treacherous pains in my legs started at mile 70 going up a long hill. I ended up stopping 2/3rd on my way up. As I was trying to climb off my bike, my legs were cramping like no other! I couldn't bend my knees. I sat at the side of the road massaging the cramps out and drinking as much water as I could. After 5 minutes, I walked to the top of the hill, and started to ride again. And going down the hill, I could feel my legs about to cramp up more as I was spinning really fast. To make matters worst, we headed in to corn fields and about 25 mph head winds. At this point we were only riding about 8 mph; this was going on for about 6 miles. Then after, the rolling hills didn't seem as bad. I would just try to climb up slowly, and gain momentum going down. And that is how I survived the last 30 miles of the Apple Cider Century.


No comments: